top of page

The History of Beauty Spot Missionary Baptist Church

Beauty Spot Missionary Baptist Church was established in 1890 by a group of spiritual men led by Brother Solomon Ray. They were Reverend Walter Monroe, Reverend Henry Adams, Reverend Peter King, Brothers John Burney, J.W. McLaughlin; James Gillis, Neil Ray, Nelson Morrison, James Capel, Charles Ray; Duncan Ray, Daniel H. Ray, Henry McGill and Dave Dixon.

 

The first pastor was Reverend Alexander Scarborough. The first deacons were Deacon John L. Evans, Dan H. Ray and C.W. Ray. They also received the first recorded deed in 1924. The property cost $500.00.

Seeking a better location to serve more people, the church was moved to its current location in 1920. In 1951 the third sanctuary was built. The church grew spiritually and in 1998 the structure was demolished for the construction of a new sanctuary. However, on August 11, 2000, one week before the scheduled occupancy, it was destroyed by fire.

 

In spite of the set back the church continued to serve God and prospered. Worship services were conducted at Cape Fear Conference “B” Headquarters on the first thru fourth Sundays and at Rockfish Grove and Friendship Grove Freewill Baptist Churches in Raeford, NC on the fifth Sunday. Bible Study was conducted at Cunningham and Son’s Mortuary in Fayetteville, NC on each Wednesday for almost two years. We later conducted Bible Study on Thursday evenings at West Fayetteville Baptist Church for an additional two years. Church Conference was conducted at New Bethel A.M.E. Zion Church. For almost five years we conducted baptismal services at St. Peter Missionary Baptist Church each second Sunday at 9 A.M. We also conducted baptismal at Mt. Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church for two years.

 

In February of 2003 the church completed construction of the fellowship hall. However, it was used as the sanctuary for almost three years and the church continued to grow.

On July 16, 2005, the Lord blessed the church to conduct groundbreaking services on an 850-seat sanctuary. Construction began on July 17, 2005. Work on the sanctuary continued, however, on June 26, 2006, there was another fire; the roof caught on fire during a welding project. However, with God’s help the current sanctuary was completed in April 2007. On May 7, 2007 the congregation, led by Pastor Calvin Brewington and the associate ministers, walked from the fellowship hall into the new sanctuary.

 

God has given us many anointed men of God who served as pastor; Reverend Alexander Scarborough (1920), Reverend Luscious Miles (1930), Reverend Eddie Jenkins (1955-1965), Reverend Sandy D. McIver (1965), Reverend J.P. McNair (1965-1970), Reverend Dr. John D. Fuller, Sr. (1970-1973), Reverend Dr. Willie Douglas Johnson (1973-1999), and Reverend Dr. Calvin L. Brewington, Sr. (2000-2013). Reverend David P. Wedlock, Sr. served as our interim pastor from November 2013 to September 2014.

 

God continued his blessings upon Beauty Spot and on the first Sunday in October 2014, we received Reverend Dr. Taijuan O. Fuller as our new Sr. Pastor. During his tenure over the past seven years, the congregation has now grown to several hundred members, with many souls being saved and several new members that have been added to the flock.  Furthermore, attendance in Bible Study has quadrupled, the mortgage has been paid in full, a new youth church fellowship has been established, a new annex building has been purchased, a new video system has been installed, a new audio system has been installed, a new young girls ministry has been established and two new vans have been purchased.  Moreover, in the last seven years, three ministers have been ordained and a Director of Christian Education has been appointed.  In addition to the aforementioned items, a new Facebook Live and YouTube live weekly broadcast have also been established. The most recent accomplishment that has been celebrated by the Beauty Spot family is the completion of the Phase 2 Building Project Addition which was completed in August 2020.  We look forward to the great things that God has in store for the Beauty Spot Church Family while we continue to say, To God Be The Glory For The Great Things He Has Done!!!

bottom of page